The Highway Code applies to England, Scotland and Wales. It’s essential reading for everyone. Here’s a reminder about driving in fog.
When driving in fog you should:
– use your lights as required
– keep a safe distance behind the vehicle in front. Rear lights can give a false sense of security
– be able to pull up well within the distance you can see clearly. This is particularly important on motorways and dual carriageways, as vehicles are travelling faster
– use your windscreen wipers and demisters
– beware of other drivers not using headlights
– not accelerate to get away from a vehicle which is too close behind you
– check your mirrors before you slow down. Then use your brakes so that your brake lights warn drivers behind you that you are slowing down
– stop in the correct position at a junction with limited visibility and listen for traffic. When you are sure it is safe to emerge, do so positively and do not hesitate in a position that puts you directly in the path of approaching vehicles.
From the DSA